Friday, March 25, 2011

Confessions of a reluctant runner. Part 4, States of matter.

My runs during the ridiculous freeze-thaw cycle that we've been experiencing in Edmonton this last little while have had me thinking about the different states of matter... don't look at me like that. Anyway, this in turn, got me thinking about how these different states of matter are associated with my runs (look, I'm fairly certain you're not buying any of this, but if you could play along, it would be very much appreciated.)

First off, there is solid. Bones, muscles, tendons, my entire body absorbing impact and propelling me at the same time. The intermittent patches of solid water (i.e. ice) that challenge my footing. The variations of asphalt, concrete, brick, gravel, dirt, and wood as I progress through my run.

So many parts, so many opportunities for pain

Next is liquid. The perspiration that has me soaked by the end. The seemingly endless supply of phlegm that my lungs produce. The before mentioned patches of solid water that have transformed into miniature glacial lakes. The squish of my shoes and socks as I return from slogging in said lakes.

*volume of water and physique of runner may not be exactly as shown

Then there's, gas. The water vapour that forms from my breath. The steam that rises from my body as perspiration evaporates into the cold air. The, um, other gases that, um...alright, there's no getting around this one. Nitrogen, Hydrogen, Carbon dioxide, Oxygen, and of course, Methane; they're all present and accounted for in varying percentages. Running is a very jarring activity and with that one's insides get quite a vigorous massage. Looking to "cleanse" your body? Between the flatulence, the burps, and the phlegm, there's nothing like a good solid run to make you feel like you've exorcised more than a few demons. Speaking of the foul, a lung-full of vehicle exhaust as I reach the top of the stairs. The cigarette smoke as I pass clutches of smokers huddled around the various entrances to buildings. That one particular spot along the trail where the scent of sewage is perennial and potent.

I shall use the  Rosetta Nebula as an illustration of the interplay of gases... close enough, damn it!

Finally, plasma. Ummm... If it's not too cloudy, the sun feels nice. That's about all I've got for that one. Oh, like you even considered plasma in the first place.

I bet you're considering my ionized particles now, eh? Ka-POW!

So, the next time you're out and about on a early Spring day, take some time to appreciate the wonders of matter, in all it's states; and remember, the triple-point of water is not, in fact, 0°C



No comments: